Guaranteed Basic Income
From the Freakonomics Podcast:
The gist: a lot of full-time jobs in the modern economy simply don't pay a living wage. And even those jobs may be obliterated by new technologies. What's to be done so that financially vulnerable people aren't just crushed? It may finally be time for an idea that economists have promoted for decades: a guaranteed basic income.
- Basic Income Trial in Oakland: 100 families will be given between $1,000 and $2,000 each month to test how a basic income will affect their lives
- Switzerland to Hold Referendum on Basic Income: Other European countries considering trials as well
- Wendy's to Replace Workers with Automated Kiosks: Fast food chains want to reduce labor costs via automation
- Self-Driving Trucks Will Have a Big Impact on US Economy: 'Truck Driver' is the most common job in a majority of US states. There are 3.5 million professional truck drivers and another 5.2 million people employed in the trucking industry.
- Will Your Job Be Done By A Machine?: An interactive chart with a dancing robot that shows how likely you are to end up jobless and on the street.
Self Driving Features Could Lead to More Sex in Moving Car (So it's not all bad...)
Wednesday, July 20th @ 6:30pm
Republic at 7 Corners
221 Cedar Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55454